Thursday, April 05, 2007

Tomato Thoughts

I think we're finally turning the tide of vegetable phobia in our household because tonight, Clay wanted a tomato for dinner. Not a puny cherry tomato, mind you. No, he wanted a 'great big tomato... without the seeds, please.' Yes sir... I started slicing right away and placed eight fat, heaping wedges in front of him.

Now, you may be wondering what kind of weird dinner this was for a 3 year old. I know I certainly was, but I'm not much of a cook, and since Mike's been sick this week we haven't exactly been having his home cooked meals. Mostly, we've been dining on yogurt, leftover mac 'n cheese, and cold cereal. Or whatever I can grab from the fridge or pantry that doesn't require the stove. Tonight, I picked up some sushi for myself and was going to give Clay cottage cheese when he asked for the tomato.

And how he devoured that tomato! I marvelled at his process. First, he'd slurp out the center of the wedge, and then he'd nibble the skin. He kept the pepper shaker handy, and sprinkled some before each and every bite. Happy as a clam, he even munched on some cucumber and olives from my salad. And I thought "I sort of know this kid. Like me he loves tomatoes, but where's the pepper appetite coming from?"

But, I suppose that's what kids are for. They'll have a little of you, a little of him, and a little of themselves. There's my eyes, his hair, and a mystery dimple. Not much of a taste for salt, but pass the pepper, please!

No comments: