Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Centerfield

Here’s how I know today is the first day of Spring. It isn’t because I checked the calendar, or because of the fine weather (actually, it was 50 degrees and a little dreary). I heard no chirping birds, and although I spied daffodils and crocuses this past week, none caught my attention this morning.

So how did I know? Every spring, the radio stations play John Fogerty’s Centerfield a LOT. And sure enough, it was on as soon I got in the car this morning. You might think I’d get tired of this song, but nothing could be further from the truth. I love it. Every time I hear the ‘Clap Clap/ Clap Clap Clap/ Clap Clap/ CLAP CLAP’, a great big smile crosses my face.

Now, I am no baseball fan. The game’s okay, but mostly I enjoy watching a game at the stadium because of the crowds. I’ll never watch a game on TV. Nevertheless, there is something so happy and so hopeful about Centerfield, I literally bounce in my seat. That very first verse, I confess I imagine Clay (and now Drew) in a little baseball cap and cleats.


Well, beat the drum and hold the phone - the sun came out today!
We’re born again, there’s new grass on the field.
A-roundin’ third, and headed for home, it’s a brown-eyed handsome man;
Anyone can understand the way I feel.



And by the time the song gets to this verse, I’m a little teary (it’s true!). I wonder if my dad, growing up in rural North Carolina on a little dirt farm, actually played baseball. If he did, I’ll bet he would have said this:


Got a beat-up glove, a homemade bat, and brand-new pair of shoes;
You know I think it’s time to give this game a ride.



So put me in Coach! I’m ready to play today!

Clap Clap/ Clap Clap Clap/ Clap Clap/ CLAP CLAP!

No comments: